Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving...

So, today was Thanksgiving in the USA.  I am a Canadian living in the States, and have been since 1989, so even after all this time, I can't wrap my head around the whole holiday.  Other than it's a long, long weekend.  I don't mean that offensively to anyone, I am simply sharing my feelings.  Yes, I love my family and I am appreciative for everything I have but I don't need one day of the year to be thankful for the people in my life, or for what I have, etc, etc.  

Now, why would I say something like that that could come off as a little bit pissy to some people?   (And AGAIN, I don't mean this to be hurtful or snotty to anyone at all!)  Well, when we sat down to dinner today and after Peter said grace, we went around and said what we were thankful for.  When it was my turn, I got emotional and it was kind of at that moment that I realized that I am EXTREMELY thankful for the people in my life.  People can leave us way too soon.  Just in this year alone, we have faced the loss of 2 loved ones.  My mother in law passed away a year ago...2 days before Thanksgiving last year.  And of course Nikki passed away in June.  That is not to say that I am not thankful for loved ones every day, I am......but this year I have really come to realize just HOW important they are to me and especially how much I miss them.

Now here I sit, again, tearing up as I write this.  Sheesh!  This has been the story of my life lately.  I cry at the drop of a hat.  The least little things make me sob.  It's a good thing everyone else is in the other room watching football or they might think I am nuts.  Well, the wouldn't be completely wrong, but still.  ;)

I guess my point to all of this is cherish EVERY moment together.  Not just on Thanksgiving.  Some of you have family so close to you and get to spend a lot of time together.  Birthdays, holidays, events or just have coffee together.  NEVER take family for granted.  I could only WISH to be nearer to my Mom and sisters (and everyone else, too!).  It's a major trip to be with my family. But I do it when I can and I am thankful for every moment we get to spend together.  Please do the same with your families!

God bless.  

Happy Thanksgiving....American style.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment