Friday, July 12, 2013

"If I Had a Million Dollars"...

The last time my kids saw Nikki was July of 2011, at Kelly and Jacques' wedding.  Michigan is a long way from New Brunswick so visits, for the kids, became more infrequent than mine.  Plus, they had school, jobs, etc.  January of 2012 is when Nikki was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery, started chemo treatments and all that fun stuff that goes with cancer.  *insert sarcasm here*  Early in 2013, things went from bad to worse and we were told that Nikki's cancer was terminal and that she would, most likely, not be here by the end of this summer.

Sam wanted to remember Nikki the way was she was the last time she saw her at the wedding....healthy and happy.  And that's perfectly okay!!  Pete and Randy, however, decided they would like to come to see their aunt one last time.  So, Pete flew out with me in April and Randy flew out in May, about 3 weeks before she passed away.

I want to tell a little story about the day Randy said goodbye to his aunt.  You will see soon enough why I picked today to tell it.  

We were at the hospital visiting Nikki before it was time for me to take Randy to the airport to fly back home.  Mom had gone to get some ice chips or water or something for Nikki.  I had to go pee....(not a crucial part of the story but it provides reality and comic relief...lol) so I went to the private bathroom in her hospital room.  It did not even occur to me that Nikki and Randy would pick that time to say their goodbyes.  And, actually, I don't think they planned to, but they were left alone and I guess reality set in.   I came out of the bathroom to find both of them hugging and crying. It dawned on me that this was it.  This was the last time my son would see his aunt!  So, I joined in on the crying.  And Mom came back and she joined in, also.  It was very emotional...very sad. :(

But my son, wanting her to not cry and be sad for too long said to her something like, "oh...oh...wait!  I have just the thing!"  and then he played a song for her.  If I Had a Million Dollars by The Barenaked Ladies.  Yeah, not exactly a soothing tune....but that's Randy!!  lol  And he succeeded in what he wanted to do.  She smiled.  We all did.  And we cried.  And we sang.  And we bed danced.  And then we cried some more.  It was a very touching moment to be honest.  They left each other very sad and tearful. But when Randy left Nikki that day, though he left crying......he also left with a memory he will have forever.  For now, whenever he hears that song, he will think of his Aunt Nikki.  :)

So, why did I choose to write this story today?  Well, tonight, Randy is going to see The Barenaked Ladies in concert.  I have no doubt in my mind that Nikki will be with him somehow....especially when they sing If I Had a Million Dollars.  <3


No comments:

Post a Comment