Thursday, September 19, 2013

I'm a Believer...

During the duration of my sister's illness, from her diagnosis to her death, I asked for prayers for her.  I was asked a lot of questions about her illness, from "what type of cancer?", to "how long does she have?", etc, etc.   All reasonable questions.  But there was one question that I really didn't know how to answer (and kinda sorta had a bit of a problem with, to be perfectly honest)....and it was asked a lot..."Is she a believer?"  

How does one answer that question anyway?  I never felt like there was a clear cut answer.  If I said no, I felt like I was saying that she didn't believe in God and had no religious beliefs at all.  Which was not the case.  If I said yes, I was inferring that she had given her life over to Christ and accepted Him as her savior, and I wasn't sure at that point if she had.  So, I never knew how to answer.  "Just please pray", was what I was thinking.

So....if someone is a believer, they are deserving of prayers but if they're not, they we shouldn't pray for them?   I know the answer to that is that we should pray for everyone....no matter who they are, but then, WHY is that question asked?.  "Is she a believer?"   You want to know what I REALLY wanted to say?  "Who cares?!  Does it matter??  If I say she's not a believer you won't pray for her?"  I felt kind of offended by that question even though I know that no harm (or offense) was meant by it.  Maybe I was just being sensitive....which I guess I had (have) reason to be!

Don't get me wrong, my family and I SO appreciate ALL of the prayers, thoughts, concerns, everything!  And FYI, Nikki did become a "believer" before she passed away.   :)  But, I like to think that the prayers were being said for her even though no one really knew whether she was or not.  Shouldn't we pray even more, or harder, for those who do not know God?  

I miss my sister.  I miss her SO much.  :(  I know I will see her again one day.  But for now, I miss her here on earth with us.  

Just some thoughts swirling around in this head of mine.  Keep in mind, even though I share these posts, they are NOT directed towards anyone.  They are MY thoughts and vents and, as I have said before, it feels good to write them.....and to share them.



No comments:

Post a Comment