Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Phil 4:13

My favorite scripture is Philippians 4:13 - I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.  When I think of that verse or read that verse or say that verse, I really do feel like I CAN do anything because Christ is giving me strength to get through even the toughest times in my life.  He has, too.  There have been times when I have said things like "why me?" or "how am I ever going to get through this?" or "I can't do this!" etc, etc.   Knowing that God is with me, helping me through tough times, strengthening me to get through those times, makes it easier.  I could go on and on, but the gist of this post is not about my spirituality or belief, etc.  I just wanted to give a little background before I told a little story.  :)

When I was in Fredericton last week, I was in Giant Tiger with my Mom.  (I love Giant Tiger, just sayin'!)  We were just looking around at everything when we passed an end cap with a display of pretty ceramic mugs.  )And anyone who knows me knows my obsession with coffee mugs!  hehe  But that's another story.) These were "go-cups", made of ceramic with silicone lids.  There were several different designs....very nice!  So I say to Mom..."ohhh look, these are so pretty!" and I pick one up.  As I turn it around to look at the design, I see writing.  Guess what it said....yup, "I can do all things who Christ who strengthens me." 

Seriously!  I was shocked.  Of ALL the mugs on that shelf, I pick up that one, without even knowing what was on it!  I kid you not!!!  I even look for another one for Mom, but there was just one with that verse and design, and I had picked it up!  Weird?  I dunno.  But I look at these kind of things as, I dunno what you would call it, a sign?  Or God speaking to me? or something.  

I bought that mug.  (And one for Mom with a different design.  :) ) I carefully packed it in my suitcase so it would make it back to Michigan in one piece.  Which it did. 

I emptied my suitcase today and took out the little "finds" I picked up in Fredericton, my mug included (which was in one piece I might add!).  I set it on the laundry in the basket I was taking downstairs, and mosey on down the stairs.  I get to the bottom and .....yep, you guessed it.....it fell out and broke.  :(  Only right around the top because it landed mostly on the rug at the front door.  However, I cannot drink out of it now.  :(  

I cleaned up the pieces and was really sad when I was about to throw it in the garbage can, so I didn't.  I set it on the counter in the kitchen and looked at it and there it was.  The verse was still readable.  The cup was broken.  Again, I see these things as God speaking to me...telling me something.  Now, I am probably off base a LOT when it comes to that, but MY thought is this:  I am broken but I am still useful.  I have been feeling useless.  I'm not.  God still loves me.  I have been feeling alone.  I'm not I have been feeling weak.  I'm not.  :)

So, I am keeping the mug.  I will put it on a shelf in my craft room and put paintbrushes in it or something.  Funny how a something as silly as breaking a mug can bring a revelation.  

I need to always remember that I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  I think I was kinda forgetting that.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment